Tuesday 13 April 2010

Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger


I first read Time Traveler's Wife when it was revealed as one of Richard and Judy's book club in 2005 and after questioning the impossibility of time travel and getting my head around that I instantly fell in love with it and it became my favourite book (at that time). So when Audrey Niffenegger released Her Fearful Symmetry last year I could not wait to read it. My lovely friend L got the book fro Christmas and after reading it gave it straight to me to read. After reading the first 2 pages and deciding that the plotline had a degree of predictability to it (I could already see it coming) I put it down and despite picking it up on a number of occasions it took me until April to sit down on holiday and read it. I was not smitten by it at any point but did not want to give up on it given my love for her previous book so I persevered.


I felt that throughout that book that it was far fetched and predictable. Books do not have to be realistic (falling in love with 109 year old vampire who would like nothing more than to drain your blood is totally acceptable) don't get me wrong but I felt that there was no logic to the actions taken by some of the characters and it seemed clear to end in disaster. The love story side of the tale was very sad with no real saving grace of happiness or deep rooted feeling and at no point was I gripped to read more.

Sorry but it is a 3 out of 10 from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment